“Braiding Patterns” themed mini-paddle

Decorated Paddles, Bellropes, Boatswain's Lanyards, Anchors & Mats etc
Cord_Craft
**Supporting Member**
http://www.knot-everything.org

“Braiding Patterns” themed mini-paddle

#1by Cord_Craft » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:54 pm

The knot work on my first mini paddle had a weapon-handle-wrap theme. For this 2nd mini-paddle I wanted to do "Braiding" Patterns, but because of the size and core, none of them were done (strictly speaking) as braids (aka platting) rather they were done as fid-work (which is of course is also wrongly named and ought to be called needle-work.

The mid and lower sections are Triaxial “braids” as originally introduced to the FB knotting world by Hans Gommans; then Matthias Agnello;

The mid section is the ubiquitous 3D triaxial pattern as popularised really by the master of this pattern Paul Luzny. First time I’d done 3D block on a cylindrical core – made a mistake with my first attempt (too few strands!! Only realised when I found a strand under the sofa) and had to start again. For me the main learning points are to keep the dressing consistent, and to restrain the ends better during tieing and planned length versus finished length.

The lower section is the Japanese Mutume triaxial pattern – although I got it from Tim Tyler’s excellent website about triaxial patterns where he calls it the “Sparse Triaxial” and features it in the website’s header image (I simply worked it out from the photo) http://hexdome.com/weaving/triaxial/introduction/

Top section is a common braiding pattern used by whip makers. Tut/Info here. Main learning points very similar to the 3D.
For a more detailed explanation and how AdvGridmaker can help - see this link

All of the Transition knots are all 11P x 13B Fan knots (aka locked edge gauchos) coded O1U4O4U1 – I like these for paddles because they have neat straight bight rims rather than scalloped edges.

The flat-mat adorning the paddle blade took 3 attempts to find something I liked. I did an ocean plait first but took it apart as I've used that already on another of my paddles. I then did ABOK 2347 which I really liked but it was a little too wide for this small paddle. So instead I worked this one out from a photo I had seen, doesn’t appear to be in ABOK, I just worked it out by looking at the photo

Since Michel
**Supporting Member**

Re: “Braiding Patterns” themed mini-paddle

#2by Since Michel » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:34 am

Magnifique :Hrts: :Hrts: :Hrts:

Return to “Nautical Fancywork”